Friday, August 08, 2008

One Life With Each Other; Sisters, Brothers.

Dear ONE Member,

Last week, my friend Tom Daschle wrote to you about our trip to Rwanda. We saw the difference America is making on the ground.

We want to support continued economic growth and poverty reduction in Rwanda and across the developing world. To guarantee that, we need to make sure that the next president prioritizes investment in Rwanda and other developing nations to make extreme poverty history.

You can influence the policies of the next President by clicking the link below and asking the Republican and Democratic presidential platform committees to make the fight against global poverty and disease a priority.

Sign The Petition.

A great example of the difference we’re making is Rwanda’s gourmet coffee industry, where a lot of hard work by Rwandans alongside strategic support from the United States is driving robust economic growth that is lifting people out of poverty.

USAID (that’s the U.S. government, which spends your dollars), has partnered with the owner of a coffee bean “washing station.” This station purchases coffee beans (“cherries” actually) from local farmers and then they process the bean through a washing cycle that separates the beans by quality, ready for export. This simple step—which was unheard of in Rwanda before 2002—means that Rwanda captures much more of the value of its biggest export crop than it ever could in the past. Rwandan coffee farmers are more prosperous than they were before, because their product fetches a higher price on the world market. And an entirely new processing industry has sprung up, employing thousands. These specialty coffee beans are sold to Starbucks and specialty coffee shops across America.

To accommodate the burgeoning specialty coffee market, these washing stations hire about 200 women to separate and process the beans. These women’s salaries are double what they made before. They use the extra income to pay for medical care and more nutritious food for their children, not to mention school supplies, better clothes, and maybe some livestock.

This is economic development targeted at the poor—a hand-up, not a hand-out. That's a lesson that Senator Daschle and I plan to share with our party leaders at our respective National Conventions in Denver and St. Paul, where new policy platforms will be passed.

Senator Daschle and I will bring along your signatures to the conventions and urge the party leaders to prioritize global health and anti-poverty planks in their 2008 platforms.

Add your signature here: Sign The Petition.


Help us seize this opportunity to renew America’s commitment to health, education, and entrepreneurship in the developing world during the next Administration.

This is a strategic moment in which our political leaders need to hear from all of us, loud and clear, as ONE.

Thank you for your work,

Senator Bill First, M.D.
National Co-Chair, ONE Vote ‘08

9 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Got my e-mail this morning; I'll be signing immediately.

Bar L. said...

We think alike on so many things :)

I've signed already too. Thanks for posting this!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Cool post...guess I should sign up

Southern (in)Sanity said...

I am a bit surprised that Tom Daschle is involved in this, but it does seem quite worthwhile.

You've probably got me hooked too.

Damn you...

:)

Cinnamon Girl said...

ONE.org has support on both sides of the aisle. Even Jesse Helms supported it. I have not agreed with most of what Bush has done policy wise but I have always said that when it comes to his AIDS and Third World Debt Relief he has hit a home run and done FAR more than any other President and I respect him tremendously for that.

Bar L. said...

Hey Starr, I gave you a blog award on my blog.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ohh thanks Barbara!

Sparky Duck said...

Tom Daschle? really? I will sign despite that

Cinnamon Girl said...

What's wrong with bi-partisan support? I thought the point was to try to work together. Isn't Obama for that? Sorry if I sound snotty but I coulda sworn that was the change we were supposed to believe in. Comments like I'll sign for aids and debt relief inspite of a republican supporting it don't strike me as very "yes we can."

statcounter