Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Mist...

...was awesome. Really truly a great old fashioned horror flick. It was a Lovecraftian/Twillight Zone meets Lord Of The Flies look at society as seen through the twisted vision of Stephen King.

AND THE ENDING! HOLY SHIT!!

Props to the director and screenwriter for re-working the ending. King loved it and I thought it took some serious cojones. Two thumbs up from Kidlet and I. Although we both may have issues sleeping tonight!

10 comments:

Misty DawnS said...

OH, I really want to see this movie! I'll be waiting a long time though. I really need to sign up with Netflix!

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

I can't wait to see this! I think I'll have to wait till it comes out on dvd, though. My boys and I are going to see Beowulf soon, though!

Diane Dehler said...

Hi Star,
I found you via Ascender and you have an interesting blog. As far as Hemingway goes have you read "Hills Like White Elephants?" He wrote about a topic as controversial today as it was then and with understated simplicity. I do agree with you about the drunken old writer thing though, in general.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

I am glad to hear that you liked it. I wanted to see it, but a review in the local paper was not very positive.

However, I respect your thoughts and opinions much more than the local newspaper hack - so I will be seeing "The Mist" soon.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I really quite liked it RWA. I mean yes the acting was a bit ham handed at times but this was in part due to the fact that characters had to play archtypes. The ending though. Wow. That director HAD to have bribed a studio to get away with it. It was so far off the beaten Hollywood track Kidlet and I were stunned.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Hi Princess, thanks for the visit! Yes I have read Elephants. I just find Hemingways "brevity" to be annoying. Give me Faulkner, Lawrence, Steinbeck and most of all Fitzgerald. With a side of Maugham and Waugh for good measure and a helping of Wharton and Austin for fun. Altough Edith Wharton could be a MASSIVE downer.

bundle-o-contradictions said...

I read the short story many years ago...I can't remember the end... You made me actually want to see a movie! I don't do movies. You're truly gifted. ;)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I hardly ever go to the movies, but this is one I am going to do my best to see this weekend....

Sparky Duck said...

how long did the amazingly awesome actor andre braugher last?

Cinnamon Girl said...

I'd say about halfway. He played a serious asshat too.

statcounter