/pours glass of wine
/wonders just how many details she should let out
/figures the number of glasses of wine will decide that
Back? Excellent.
So now ya know the dirty little Karaoke secret in Starr's closet. Well...most of them. You keep quiet, RWA. I will get to the later ones at a later date.
So we made it on the bus after leaving Alice's Wonderland. Han's must have been in just as bad a shape as all of us. Guess what the Flying Dutchman did? Took a back alley that was FAR too narrow for a Mercedes Tour bus. Took the door clean off some little Euro car. And no, he did not stop. The trip was beginning to take on a decidedly outlaw air to it.
Ooooo..............foreshadowing!
Ahem.
We all pretty much crashed on the bus. HFB and I both woke up just outside of Rome. Like most of Europe, you could feel history in Rome. It's hard to describe unless you have been some place that has over a millennium of history to it. As a history fiend, it was one of the most amazing things about the entire trip.

Our Rome hotel was one of the nicest of our entire trip. Right outside our hotel was a flower vendor. HFB decided to show off his Southern Charm by buying out the entire stand. For moi. It's the dimples.

My room looked like a jungle. The other girls were oh just a bit jealous. I was ooh...just a bit blown away. Spent the remainder of the evening on the balcony drinking beer and listening to the Best of the Eagles.
There is a TON to see in Rome. I mean more than you can possibly imagine. The Coliseum of course which as you can see above is kinda hard to miss. I loved Trevi Fountain. It was just beautiful. And the mist felt wonderful.

Of course the Sistine Chapel. Here is the the deal with the Sistine. Most of what you see in pictures is an up close detail shot of one portion of it. That in no way does it justice or gives you the feeling you get standing there. I saw a great deal of art in Europe. Nothing touches this. Michelangelo was a genius. His blues. Just ...wow.



Do you know that it is possible to get a historical hangover? Yes it is. Spending that much time in Vatican City and Rome was making my head spin and making me feel very very small. Kinda like when you stare at the ocean. HFB and I decamped after dinner for the balcony. It was freakin hot man. HOT. We all dragged our mattress outside to the balconies. There were about 10 of us chilling out when we got the news .
Apparently 3 of the Hot Florida Boys had been arrested by Rome cops with an assist from the Swiss Guard.

You don't fuck with the Mossad, Chuck Norris, or The Swiss Guard. I know they look like Fruit Loops but they are bad ass. And all kinds of spooky. It's like you fuck up and they are going to show up at your door with The Illuminati, The Templar's, and Tom Hanks. Who needs that?!
So we had 3 Hot Florida Boys in jail - which was a fucking cave I might add - the Pastor and His Wife were there, the American Consulate was involved. My HFB and grabbed his one remaining non incarcerated fellow Floridian and headed to the jail. We all stayed up waiting to find out the details. No one had a clue what had went down.
John got back late at night and told us that the 3 boys were being deported and the Pastor and his wife were heading home with them. Their crime? Popping the Alfa Romeo medallions off of cars in the Vatican City limits.

Let me repeat folks. Do NOT fuck with the Italians. It's no coincident that they came up with the Mafia. Your people are spooky, Bond!
Let's chill out with the Eagles now. Tomorrow we hit Pompeii, Brindis, a tanker ship, Rush, and Lifeboats =)
14 comments:
I popped the name off of a '75 Chevette once. It didn't elicit nearly the same response. I would love to go to Rome. Amazing. Cheers Starr!!
Deported for popping medallions off of cars? That's pretty strong.
And I thought you weren't allowed to take pictures of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel? I might be wrong about that.
You would LOVE Rome, Matt. It was overwhelming. I would suggest at least two weeks there just to get the most out of it. Italy was one of, if not my most, favorite countries.
RWA - Like I said, do not go up against the Italians. I don't recall not being able to take pictures in the Sistine. We had to wears scarves on our heads and we couldn't wear shorts though.
The Eagles and Rome? Who'da thunk it? The jailing and deportation sounds scary; I bet those HFBs still have nightmares to this day about the Swiss Guard.
I married a full blooded Italian. Ya, she's got stories!
What an incredible trip, and what incredible boneheads those three were.
Ahhh...reminds me of Rome!!! ha ha
I remember waiting down that hallway to the Sistine Chapel. Of course, I didn't know that you couldn't take pictures of it...oops.
Those Swiss guard guys look like some kind of crazy popcicle flavor!
Very interesting. Loved the "fruit loops" reference. The pictures are truly awesome...
Now, let me state for the record, I know not of this Mafia you speak of. There is a loose association of business men with common goals that I know of, but this Mafia? Sorry...I no nothing!
Belle - What's the expression? Young dumb and full of come? That described them all right.
Jeff - Good luck, man, stay on her good side!
VE - Yeah I didn't get the memo on the no pictures either!
Bud - Rome is overwhelming. Truly. And they DO look like Fruit Loops.
Yeah Bond. Much like my grandfathers family just ran a "family business" selling potables during the prohibition ;)
Deportation was pretty harsh. Maybe the US should bomb Rome in response for this outrageous treatment of our citizens?
Unless it was the Pope's Alfa that they did that too. Then, they're lucky to be alive. ;-)
Well since the crime was committed with Vatican City it is technically not the Italians fault. Vatican City being an independent country of sort.
I think it was Nun-mobile. No joke!
We don't know about history in this country. I mean we have some great places to see and we do have national landmarks and places that resonate. But what's a couple hundred measly years against a millenium of civilization?
HA! The loose association of business men with common goals!
Post a Comment