Sunday, June 03, 2007

Come Pick Me Up, Come Take Me Out



I love this movie. Love this movie. Not sure exactly why but I just do. The music is of course kick ass. Cameron does a soundtrack like no one else. But something about the themes of this movie just reduce me to tears every time I watch it. Don't get me wrong it is quite funny. Cameron does bitter and sweet better than anyone I can think of.

But the underlying themes of love and loss and finding yourself get me every time. Maybe because I am killing time in a place and situation that I hate, it gets to me. Maybe because the entire road trip as a metaphor for life and the miles/years passing you by gets me. I don't want to miss 60B. I have been living off of 60B for years and it is getting mighty old.

Plus Claire reminds me of me on crack Which is scary to ponder.

Reviewers have consistently given it harsh reviews for being a "mishmash" of story lines. Personally I think that is merely another symptom of peoples need to have everything put in a nice box. And they had issues with Claire for saying impossibly weird things that "normal" people would not say. I say they need to get out more often. Those that know me, know this.

Claire Colburn: "You're always trying to break up with me, and we're not even together."

Drew Bailey: "We're not?"

That is a great line. That plus 2 others make me smile. It's a pained smile but a smile none the less.

So if you are in the mood for a movie that doesn't hand you a nice box all wrapped up with definitions, go for this one.


Come pick me up
Take me out
Fuck me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends
They're all full of shit
With a smile on your face
And then do it again

Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up

9 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

Plus, Orlando Bloom is so easy on the eyes right?

Cinnamon Girl said...

Orlando is only hot with Elf Ear

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

This coming from the lady who didn't like the non-traditional ending of The Breakup? I am shocked at you, sister. Of course, I haven't even seen this movie, so chances are I'd agree with your assessment :)

Cinnamon Girl said...

It was a Cameron Crowe movie so I knew it would not be typical. And there were way too many things about that movie that reminded me of the ex boyfriend variety. It got to me and still does.

Travis Cody said...

Is this a chick movie? I'll see it if it is, no worries there. I just like to know going in so I'm prepared with a hanky for my lady, you know?

Cinnamon Girl said...

Trav click the picture. I updated the pic so it links to the official site.

It is not a chick flick along the lines of Steel Magnolia's et al. It is a sweet movie that makes me sad only because of the memories not because of the story line.

the Book of Keira said...

That was a great movie!

Sparky Duck said...

I agree nope, not a chick flick. Though Crowe never does normal chick flicks

Cinnamon Girl said...

That is true Sparky even though he did let loose Lloyd Dobler on unsuspecting women everywhere.

statcounter