Grosse Pointe Blank kicks so much ass. Trying to think of a few memorable lines from it becomes damn nearly silly. The entire movie is filled with classic lines. Which, in addition to the fact that it has John Cusack, ranks it in my top movies, evah. In fact it makes the desert island 10 movies you would have to have list quite handily.
So for today's Thursday Thirteen here are just 13 of my favorite quotes and/or series of lines from the movie. But remember, kids. John Cusack is dangerous and exposure to John should not be taken lightly!
Debi - So what's your business?
Martin - Professional Killer.
Debi - Do you get dental with that?
Debi - Hey, I know everybody's coming back to take stock of their lives. You know what I say? Leave your livestock alone. Kick back and relax, and ponder this: Where are all the good men dead- in the heart or in the head?
Debi - If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you...it's, well, broken.
[the Ultimart has just been blown up]
Martin Blank - Are you all right?
Ultimart Carl - No, I'm not all right!
Martin Blank - Take it easy.
Ultimart Carl - I'm hurt... I'm pissed... gotta find a new job!
Martin Blank [on the phone with his psychiatrist]
Dr. Oatman, please pick up, pick up. It's Martin Blank. I, I'm standing where my, uh living room was and it's not here because my house is gone and it's and Ultimart! You can never go home again Oatman...but I guess you can shop there.
[Talking to Marcella over the phone after shooting someone]
Martin - Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.
Martin - Why are you so interested in me going to my high school reunion?
Marcella - I just find it amusing that you came from somewhere.
Dr. Oatman - You didn't tell me what you did for a living for *four* sessions. *Then* you told me. And I said, "I don't want to work with you any more." And yet, you come back each week at the same time. That's a difficulty for me. On top of that, if you have committed a crime or you're thinking about committing a crime, I have to tell the authorities.
Martin Blank - I know the law, okay? But I don't want to be withholding; I'm very serious about this process.
[pause]
Martin Blank - And I know where you live.
Debi - You're a fucking *psycho*.
Martin - Don't rush to judgment on something like that until all the facts are in.
Martin -I just honestly don't know what I have in common with those people anymore. I mean, or with anyone, really. I mean, they all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do, and what am I going to say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork... How have you been?"
Martin - (arguing over egg white omelets with his waitress)
Well I don't want to get into a semantic argument I just want the protein.
Grocer - Boudro's comin for ya!
Grocer - Bing Bang Boom....POPCORN!
31 comments:
I have never seen that movie, but I love John Cusack! LOVE HIM! :)
www.chelleyoung.com
Agreed - one of the ALL-TIME great movies. Loves me some John Cusack, and he, Joan, and Ackroyd are flippin' HILARIOUS.
Oh, that's such a great movie! I think I'll have to watch it again. Soon. :)
Great movie... and I'm with you on John Cusack... have loved since The Sure Thing.. though Say Anything is still my fav.
Sitting in the corner trying not to get drooled on by the Cusack lovers...i enjoy his movies...but no drool
Chelle if you have not seen it, you really must!
And ladies, please don't get drool on Bond. He might knee jerk back into drag!
Not just a classic movie, an UNDERRATED classic. Not even cult status, which it richly deserves.
We should mount a campaign and change that.
Happy TT!
My wife and I both love Cusack's work.
She's not as big on this one though, she's more for Serendipity and Say Anything. However, may I add....
"A work of art, in a work of art."
"No, Kenny did time, he's got one of those lo-jack things on his ankle. Right now they think he's at Pizza Hut." "Let's not go there."
"Still inflicting that Ethan Frome damage?"
"And you still have that whole Mary Tyler Moore thing going."
"I have a cat." "What's it's name" "It doesn't have one." "Well, is it male or female." "I don't know, I respect its privacy."
Good ones Michael! And how bout
"Hey Jenny Slater. Hey Jenny Slater"
I found the line "Thanks for the pen" absolutely hilarious. I laughed so much, that I had to pause the movie to finish laughing.
One of my favorite movies....EVER!!
I've never seen it either, and I don't know why. It sounds funnuy
I knew you were a keep Matt!
Mags, it is a very dark comedy, with great dry humor. It is not as dark as say Very Bad Things, and this was much better written. If I remember the trivia correctly, the Belgian assassin is actually Cusack's personal trainer.
Also you get Hank Azaria, who John has worked with in America's Sweethearts and Cradle Will Rock.
What a great flick...LOL!
I've always like him, he's funny!
Happy TT13!
I have to admit, I have not seen this movie...but after reading these lines, I want to see it now!! Certainly sounds like my kind of movie!!!
Happy TT! Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica
Associating Matt-Man with "Grosse Pointe Blank" is not a stretch, is it? Those two mentioned in the same breath...well, it's like peas and carrots, yin and yang, Fred and Barney.
Well, you know what I mean!
I ashamed to admit that I haven't seen Grosse Point Blank. I started watching it a few years ago, but stopped about a quarter of the way through. I can't remember why. Something must have come up because I did like what I saw
Spam and Wild Irish Rose!
Oh and Kevin I totally am with you on the pen line!
OMG! What an AWESOME list! I love that movie so much!! I also love the "pen" line! HA! And I love it when Joan Cusack's character was talking about her class reunion at the beginning and said everybody was exactly the same except they had swelled. Oh, how true! :-)
The perfect list, a perfect perfect movie. Only topped by an even more perfect soundtrack!
And I think it does have cult status, between like age 32 and 40
Yeah it is a Gen X classic for sure. I was actually surprised at the number of you who got into this one. I figured this TT was more along the lines of amusement for myself!
And I own both volumes of the soundtrack and it is, indeed, awesome!
I didn't see that movie but I like John Cusack, so maybe I should watch it!
Thanks for visiting my random TT.
I am ashamed to admit that this is how I discovered The Specials :(
Love The Specials. I take it you know General Public, and English Beat?
*scoffs* you do realize asking this question is like asking me if I know who Screaming Trees and Big Audio Dynamite are dont you :)
Sparky's a keeper too!
So ...BAD or The Clash. Pick! Pick one! Pick now! :P
No pressure or anything.
The Clash, for strictly historical purposes. B.A.D. can be copied, though not as good.
You have choosen wisely, Spark =)
Post a Comment