Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #17 - You Could Tell I Was No Debutante

Turn around being fair play and all that this weeks Thursday Thirteen feature 13 great front women of rock! First off, if you thought the guys were hard cause there are so many, you should sit down and ponder the ladies. No not like that, gentlemen :P

When I got ready to do this list it totally hit me how many of the truly great female singers were solo artists. Aretha honey, I am looking at you. Bands that are fronted by women, that narrows our field just a little bit. In some cases the ladies in question went on to be bigger outside of the band than as a front women (Tina) and some so over shadowed the band they were in that they are essentially thought of as a stand alone artist (that would be Pearl.)

But I think I have made some fine selections. Although I admit I cheated on the Bee Hive twins, but hey. I didn't wanna dis Cindy, mmk? All names are linked to the You Tube video for the song selection I have chosen. Took me hours, people, go click something. The list is varied from early girl groups to my current girl crush (hugs Shirley) and I have tried to choose songs that are my favorites and/or so definitive that I *had* to use them.

May I present to you fine folks:

13(+1) Women Who Rock.

Shirley Manson - Garbage - Stupid Girl - If I had to switch teams it would be for her.

Siouxsie Sioux - Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Creatures - Peek-A-Boo - The Godmother of Goth. I named a cat Peepers for this song.

Debbie Harry - Blondie - Dreaming - Simply the coolest woman rocker. My favorite Blondie song.

Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson - B52's - Private Idaho - I know I cheated but they are like peanut butter and jelly, mmk? Consider yourselves lucky I didn't just add Fred too.

Gwen Stefani - No Doubt - Simple Kind Of Life - Ah Gwen, please stop yodelling.

Courtney Love - Hole - Malibu - I hate myself for loving this album so damn much.

Annie Lennox - Eurythmics - Would I Lie To You? - A true original and what a voice.

Joan Jett - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I Love Rock n Roll - The no brainer song choice of the night.

Janis Joplin - Big Brother and the Holding Company - Ball and Chain (Monterey Pop) - If you have not seen the Monterey Pop movie definately check this out. She blew EVERYONE away.

Tina Turner - The Ike and Tina Revue - River Deep Mountain High - Chills.

Anne Wilson - Heart - Barracuda - Terrible video quality but Annie's voice is incredible.

Ronnie Spector - The Ronettes - Be My Baby - Wall of Ronnie.

Chrissie Hynde - Chrissie Hynde - The Pretenders - The Talk of the Town - Another of my all time favorite songs.

35 comments:

JHS said...

Tina Turner. Right on. Love her. What courage and talent.

My list is posted. Stop by for a laugh!

Crimson Wife said...

You've got some great choices on your list! Thanks for sharing :-)

Anonymous said...

Great list! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome list! ROCK ON!

Wylie Kinson said...

Great list of worthy women - spans decades and musical styles. I would only add Aretha to the mix.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Great list... and I'm with you on Shirley Manson!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Of course the list is excellent...you r taste in music is superb...
Pearl is one I did not get to see live and that has always saddened me...
I might have replaces Siouxsie and Courtney with Grace Slick and Linda Ronstadt (early career)...

Never been a Courtney fan at all

Cinnamon Girl said...

Wylie - Aretha would have been on the list if she had fronted a band. As I mentioned there are a ton of singers who easliy make the list of great women rockers. But most were solo artists.

Bond - Linda and the Stone Ponies would work. Waddy Wachtel played a hell of a guitar too. As for Courtney, I totally think she killed Kurt and I do hate myself for loving that album. As for Grace she lost ALL credibility with "We Built This City"

And finally...Go Shirley Lovers!

Sparky Duck said...

Siouxsie has to stay, she is like a pre grunge icon, though so few people have ever heard of siouxsie and the banshees.

Ronnie Spector is a bit of a reach, sorry, IMHO. But to replace her all I could come up with was Amy Lee and she maybe a reach too.

I am so annoyed at Gwen Stefani right now.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Siouxsie is my hero =)

Ronnie made it due to her contribution to the entire Wall of Sound. That and I refused to get involved with the Flo vs Diana Supremes stuff.

And Gwen needs to grow the fuck up already. She is my age and this obsession with Sound of Music is nauseating.

Unknown said...

I love Tina Turner. I only knew her as a solo artist growning up though. And Gwen rocks! I want her to go back to No Doubt.

Dane Bramage said...

Definitly a good list. And I have to agree with most of your choices. And thanks for not adding Fred. My Thursday 13 #44 is up. It is the 13 Really Really Bad Movies Edition. Stop by if you get a chance.

Alison said...

I'm not even doing TT, and I totally agree with your list!

Darla said...

Oh, these are some great singers!

When my daughter was a toddler, she loved Heart, particularly "Bad Animals." I'm pretty sure that's what's responsible for her ability to really belt out a song now. :)

impwork said...

You've picked some really great singers there :-)

Anonymous said...

no britney spears? : )


-AThought355

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yeah, this WAS a hard list. What can we say? There are fewer women fronting bands, but the ones who do kick some major ass maybe more than the boys do.

I haven't seen Evanescence live. Yet. I'm holding out hope.

And a brand-new one: Lacey, the frontwoman of Flyleaf. Wow. She's got some pipes and the pictures I've seen posted online make it look like she's got the charisma, too. Keep an eye peeled for Flyleaf (they were featured on this week's Dog The Bounty Hunter, in fact!); they're just getting started.

Amy Ruttan said...

Awesome list, all awesome singers. As you know I love Gwen, she's the girl I would switch teams for, but she has Gavin Rossdale and he's a hunk too!

Happy TT and thanks for dropping by mine.

kuanyin333 said...

You're right--you put a lot of work into this! Well done!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Gavis is a hottie and their kid is so cute it's disgusting!

the Book of Keira said...

I was soooo hoping Janis would make this list :-)

Rowena said...

Oh wow, that's a great list you got there. I'm digging Janis Joplin, Gwen Stafani Joan Jett!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Janis was none negotiable. So were Debbie, Shirley, and Chrissie!

Rebecca said...

Great list! Happy TT13

Unknown said...

Okay, I love this list, but where is Ann Wilson?! ;)

Great blog yerself! I shall blogroll thee in return.

Unknown said...

Ignore my asshat comment, because I totally see Anne Wilson right up thar. I don't know how I missed it the first time. lol

Cinnamon Girl said...

LOL that made me giggle Allie. And don't feel bad, I had one spot left on my list and was stuck. There I was at my desk when it hit me and I yelled (literally) "oh for fucks, sake! Dreamboat Annie!"

I was at work at the time. Luckily I am still employed ;)

Tessa said...

Great list! So many greats, I bet it was difficult to narrow to 13+1

thanks for stopping by my page..

happy TT

Desert Songbird said...

Fabulous list, Starr. Chrissie Hynde has a voice like buttah. Silken and sonorous, I tell ya. Oy vey.

Tink said...

Great list with great singers! Brought back some memories... :-)
Thanks for visiting my TT!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ahhh spammers. Your products may be "AWESOME" indeed but your comments are the fuck outta here.

Anonymous said...

WOW. Impressed. In high school, I had a crush on Joan Jett. Probably because I knew she could kick my ass. Nancy Wilson blasts. Great list.

Badway.

Anonymous said...

Great list and Great singers too...Happy TT

Travis Cody said...

Annie, Janis, Tina, Debbie...yup yup yup!

I ponder them and I ponder them.

Excellent choices.

Rebecca said...

Last Thursday you answered my TT13 Q’s with numerical answers. Just thought you might like to take a look, I’ve posted the results of at Any Apples.

~Frigga :)

statcounter