Well talk about your mortality slap bummer. John Hughes, yes THAT John Hughes died of a heartattack Thursday at the all together too young of an age of 59.
I feel like an enormous chunk of my youth has just been bruised. I grew up with John. Much has been made of Cobain being the voice of Gen X, but honestly? I think John was our voice and certainly our mirror long before we ever heard of Kurt. It's not for nothing that Kevin Smith has a thing for Shermer Illinois.
I have talked before about The Breakfast Club and how even at 40 I *still* can tell you to this day what clothes, shoes and perfume I had on when I saw that. I can tell you I saw it at the River Road cinemas with a group of 5 of my friends and myself. I can tell you who each of us might have correlated to in that movie. I might have looked like "The Princess" and indeed I got tagged that by my friends, but one has to pull that lens back further to see that I was only the Princess because we were all a group of basket cases. Don't believe me? Read this lovely tribute to John from a teen who reached out to him only to have him reach back. Sincerely John Hughes
But of course it wasn't just The Breakfast Club, it was Weird Science, Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink and of course 16 Candles. Love Live Farmer Ted.
So God Speed, Mr. Hughes and thank from the bottom of my Swatch wearing heart. And trust me, we won't.
13 comments:
I'm so bummed about Hughes dying. His movies were amazing.
Me too, Jay. Me too. I was just stunned.
I won't tell you where I was when I heard this news, but it was an appropriate place.
I'd guess a school or a mall =)
I just came back from reading Allison's post.
you should have issued a handkerchief alert
I know, Kat! I was lucky in that when I came across that nearly all of the office was out at a meeting cause I was truly bawling my eyes out in my cube.
Yeah...tissue alerts are etiquette dear! LOL
OF course I was way out of my teen years when his movies were made, but I could certainly relate to Breakfast Club and also St. Elmo's Fire for the living in NY after college memories....
Oddly enough I never really did like St Elmo's Fire. Joel Schumacher just didn't have Hughes' touch for dialogue for me. But God Bless him for Rob Lowe ;)
And even though he was Blane in Pretty in Pink, Andrew McCarthy will forever and always be Clay from Less Than Zero. In his own way, Bret Easton Ellis really got us as well.
Wow, I read the whole post by Allison about the letters! What a great guy he was to become her pen pal. Its a sad loss for sure, lots of people very upset :(
He was a ridiculously talented writer above everything else, although he kind of pulled a Salinger and disappeared from the scene. I don't blame him for that as the Hollywood cookie-cutting factory has zero imagination and generally destroys anything of value before it ever gets to the production stage. Very sad news.
I'm not going to read those letters. I'm staying immersed in the music and the memories...sigh...
They are really moving. She got a form letter and kinda told him off, and he apologized and became her pen pal. It's a totally off camera look at him. I bawled =(
Some of his movies are still some of my favorites.
Post a Comment