Sunday, August 16, 2009

Starr's Current Idée Fixe

Which for those of you not Frenchified, it is translated as an "idea that dominates one's mind especially for an extended period."

Aka: Obsession.

Here's my current. Portuguese Kale Soup. Well Azores' Kale soup. Damn that Anthony Bourdain and his foodie finding goodness. Seriously this recipe is haunting my dreams. I can taste this soup with a drizzle of olive oil on top and a good crusty bread with butter. Fortunately for me, Mom's Kale has had a great year. Tuesday after picking up the child I am going to go get some Kale and fresh Bay leaves from her garden, hit the Whole Foods market and whip me up a batch of this.


* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped
* 6 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 pound linguica (Portuguese sausage), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
* 1 pound chourico (Spanish sausage), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
* 3 large potatoes, peeled & diced
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley
* 1 (14-ounce) can white cannelloni beans, drained & rinsed
* 4 quarts chicken/beef stock mix (2 of each)
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/3 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 pound kale, well washed, stemmed, and torn into bite-size pieces
* 1 loaf crusty Portuguese bread

Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sausage, garlic and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent. Add the parsley and the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Add the bay leaves, thyme, paprika and crushed red pepper. Add the potatoes and kale. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about another 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.


Tell me you did not just start salivating. Go on, I double dare you. I will be dining on this Tuesday night and this will be my musical accompaniment. It works because this soup is made is Spain, Portugal and The Azores.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones!

13 comments:

Jay said...

Anthony Bourdain rules! He knows how to travel.

And that Kale Soup looked really good on that episode.

Desert Songbird said...

Oh. Dear. GOD.

You just rehashed a horrible memory from my childhood. I LOATHE kale!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Jay - I saw you as one of Tony's fan's on facebook! I adore Tony. He's the only man I'd actually marry. One of my favorite episodes ever was Spain. Those onion things looked amazing and I LOVE romesco sauce. I could swim in it. Have you read Tony's books?

Belle - EEK! Sorry! I love Kale =(

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Um. Wow. Not sure I could eat it, but it sounds wonderful!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Sigh....COFFEE free Starr sucks. Apology to Desert!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Why don't you sleep with an IV drip of coffee so you stop having these no-coffee collapses in the morning????

This does look yummy

BUT it is too hot to make soup now...

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ok first off, my iPod hates me and is mindfucking me today. Seriously, WTF with the Floyd?!?

Better, had too rant.

I love soup Vinny. That's why I have AC! Seriously I could eat soup 5 days a week if I have some good bread with it.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Wow.

I don't think I've ever heard of - let alone see - linguica or chourica.

In a grocery store.

Around here.

EVER.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I am not sure I have seen them in the regular grocery stores either. Luckily we are foodie people here in Portland so we have some Whole Food markets. If I can't find them it's gonna be chorizo!

Needs some hard white cheese too, me thinks.

Travis Cody said...

I take the Floyd and you can keep the soup. It's got too many yuckies in it.

You know, just give me the mac & cheese or the TACOs and I'm happy.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Well after the iPod served up Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky and Run Like Hell...with 1-2 other artists between them, the vicious shuffle served up Wish You Were Here. Cherry Darling and I had words.

I just had tacos!

katherine. said...

I didn't want to put this on FB cause a couple dozen family members would see it...but my folks are thinking about going back to Spain for a couple weeks. They love it there...and they love the spain episodes of "Without Reservations" too

I still think AB eats gross stuff.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I missed Spain on my Euro Trash Vacation but that episode and a travel document I have seen on Portugal have peaked my interest.

He eats some gross stuff but not tree slugs like Andrew. Last night he was in Thailand during the April emergency no less and I was seriously jealous of his food.

statcounter