I was pondering my earlier post this week on my Thursday Thirteen and Bond's post on Huddie Ledbetter Leadbelly and RWA's post on Clapton and the song Layla and I have guitarists on the brain.
There are a lot of technically proficient guitarists out there but it is a rare breed that plays with that obvious love of the guitar and particularly Blues guitar. Perhaps that is why I have such an affection for John Mayer.
And seeing as how he hangs with BB and Eric and John Lee Hooker, I suppose I am not the only one. He's in an odd position in that I think most folks think of him as a "pop singer" and while it may be true that his can craft one hell of a pop song, it's his blues influenced work that really sets him apart. Hell, he can even make Timberlake sound like he's got soul. This, my friends, is talent. Yes, the above 2 minute clip is the interlude portion of Justin Timberlake's Love Stoned/I Think She Knows. John is so frickin talented it hurts. If you are one of those trapped in the Your Body Is A Wonderland mindset, give this one a listen.
Gravity - John Mayer at Abbey Road Studio
6 comments:
I need to give some of his lesser-heard bluesy tunes a listen, then, because his music seems rather simple, uncomplicated, and upbeat to me.
Give a listen to The John Mayer Trio or Continuum, Belle. I actually own all three of his studio albums and the are upbeat and pop but if you listen to the lyrics they are not as simple as they seem on the surface. The radio choose the most easily classified as pop songs.
John Mayer so so underrated at least guitar wise. Not exactly my fave singer though
I love John Mayer. He's an extraordinary song writer. But, holy cow... he makes some funny faces when he sings...lol.
I had never even considered John Mayer to be blues at all - and I didn't know he had been hanging out with Eric Clapton.
That being said, there was this time he was in town for a music festival, and he was a total ass to a friend of mine at a local restaurant.
Not that I hold that against his guitar-playing ability...
Mayer is one of those who has gotten unfairly tagged because of his association with that Justin guy...
He is hot hot hot...
Post a Comment