Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm Stuck Here In Between The Shadows Of My Yesterday

HEY!! See that new banner on the left hand side? The Music Savvy Mom one? Yours truly will be Guest DJing on Friday of this week. I'll post the link early Friday morning. All y'all MUST go over and check it out, mmk? The gig is we shuffle 10 songs and give a wee chat on each song. There are some seriously awesome women sending in Shuffles. Great writing from funny women and excellent music.

So now I see Cage the Elephant is blowing up all over the place, Did I call that? Hell yes I did. I so appreciate the guitar work these guys give us. Slide is just awesome. I love the lyrics. I love the lack of pretty boy vocals. I love the rootsy/bluesy feel- all without being so self knowing...I am lookin at you Jack White.





And of course Cobra Starship has a new album out. Oh that Gabe. Such a cheeky boy. The 80's are back and Gabe does them better than most retro acts and quite a few who were around then. Fun fun pop. Loves it. They kick ass live so I highly recommend catching them while they still are a cheap show.





Another new band that is breaking out big is Airborne Toxic Event. Did I call that one as well? Yes I believe I did.

Sorry getting my inner Radiohead elitist fan mindset on :P



And finally local and all around AWESOME band, The Dandy Warhols with a Beatles cover. Ahh..sleepy time music. I love the psychedelic twist on a classic.

6 comments:

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Ummmm....but I LOVE Jack White!

Isn't it awesome to "call it" for a band? Except it gets annoying when people act like THEY just discovered this really cool band you've been talking about for months.

I can't wait to see your shuffle!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Kidlet feels that very way about Cobra Starship. She has been into them for over a year and now all these kids have to act too cool and be all "oh yeah I'm a Cobra Fan, blah blah blah.'


I love Jack too, but the boy is skirting Thom York territory as far as needing to lighten up a wee bit ;O

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Your shuffle will make heads explode - no doubt

I need you to start using 4share.com so you can put up players instead of videos so i can hear what you are talking about. (well, of course, today the player is not working on The Couch)

Luckily I got to hear the Dandy Warhols version of Blackbird and it was excellent.

Cinnamon Girl said...

My problem with 4share is that it causes massive issues with page loading at my office and I can't go to their homesite at all. Net Nanny ya know.

I need to check out what Ri uses over at MSM.

Ri, the Music Savvy Mom said...

Playlist.com, but I'm at the mercy of what they've managed to cull from all over the net. Yes, I have minor issues with them stealing bandwith to get the songs to me, but I got over it when I researched the alternatives - gah!

(Plus, my attorney SIL says any copyright issues are on them, since the songs aren't offered for download on my site. KEY.) So far, I haven't had to sub TOO many songs, and they're getting more and more indie/edgy music by the day. So far, not bad - and free!

But, yeah - if I had seen your site first, I may have had a harder time calling myself "Music Savvy" with a straight face - LOL! Teach me, oh, Swami!

Getting ready to do your post now, to go live at 12:01 am. RAWK.

xoxoxo
Ri

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ri - Yay! Hey holler at me if any of mine are not available. I can see what all is on my iPod as an alternative. I am going to check them out. I really need to get a bit more with it regarding songs!

statcounter