Sunday, February 22, 2009

Naked Gold Dude Review Pt 7

Ok we have Actor and Actress and then Foreign Language film coming up.

Foreign Language films are up first The Class, Departures, Revanche, Waltz With Bashir (which is going to win) and one more I missed cause I suck....I am blown away that Waltz With Bashir did not win! Departures, a Japanese film about a classical musician who takes a job in a mortuary.

Now we have the boo hoo moments of those who have died in the last year. Last year was so awful what with Heath only having been gone for a month. Queen Latifah is sing I'll Be Seeing You. Nice song choice. Bernie Mac was a great guy....Aww...Stan Winston and of course Paul Newman to close the tribute ...man he was a great actor.

Now we are up to the Director. Cute little Reese Witherspoon is reading the nominees. Danny Boyle for Slumdog is a likely win in my opinion. And I LOVE Danny. Danny did one of my all time favorite movies, Trainspotting.

Along with Danny we have Ron Howard for Frost Nixon, David Fincher for Benny Buttons, Steven Daldry for The Reader and Gus Van Zant for Milk. But Danny wins it just like I knew he would.

We are back and it is Best Actress Time...GIVE IT TO KATE. Let's see who we will have presenting. So many past winners are in the house. We get Sophia Loren, Shirley McClain, Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman and Marion Cotillard. HOW old is Sophia?! Cause that woman is fierce as hell.

Shirley is giving props to Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married and Annie is tearing up big time, Marion Cottilard is introducing my girl, Katie for The Reader and it was lovely as well. Halle has Melissa Leo in The Frozen River ..she won the Spirit Award last night. Sophia, of course, has Meryl Streep. One legend has another. I have not seen Doubt but the very idea of Meryl playing a nun scares the shit out of me. Meryl is gorgeous as well. And that leaves Nicole Kidman with Angelina Jolie. Odd thing about Angie is that she is so much a tabloid fixture that it always comes as a bit of a shock to watch her act. She is so very very good. And the winner is... KATE WINSLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hells yes! Now I am happy. Time for Best Actor..Bobby DeNiro, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Adrian Brody and Michael Douglas to present. I am guess Sean will get it for Milk. Michael Douglas is first up with Frank Langella's Nixon in Frost Nixon. I have not seen the movie but I have seen clips and Frank is amazing. Bobby DeNiro has Sean Penn for Milk. Funny to think that Spicoli grew up to be such a heavy weight. Adrian Brody has Richard Jenkins for The Visitor. Anthony Hopkins has Brad with Benjamin Buttons which is nice as they have worked together and last but not least, Ben Kingsley with Mickey Rourke...Oh my...the juxtaposition of Mickey Rourke with the Rob over his should in view is like night and day. Again...not even with a borrowed VaJay. Nuh uhh. He was amazing in Sin City though.

And I called it! Sean Penn for the win. HAHA! Commie Homo Loving Son A Guns ...nice lead in Sean. I knew they would give it to Sean. And YOU GO on the Anti Prop 8 Speech. Classy call out for Mickey too.

That leaves Best Movie... Stephen Spielberg is up to announce the nominees but first up a retrospective of past winners that play off the nominees. Benny Buttons, Frost Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, The Reader, and Milk. I am gonna go out on a limb and say Milk. And the winner is......Slumdog Millionaire. Well maybe now they will put it in more theaters!

All in all a great show and with Statues for Heath and Kate I am quite pleased. And now I am off to watch something trashy and totally NOT award worthy. Thank you all for reading my rambles!

14 comments:

Southern (in)Sanity said...

You and I are in disagreement on Sean Penn's acceptance speech. That's what I'm working on to post tomorrow.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I figured we might be ;)

I was expecting it if he won given the subject matter of the film and the fact that it came out during the Prop 8 elections.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Man I hate it when I don't subscribe to my own post.

Anonymous said...

Just took in all seven posts. That BS $174 light bulb I just put in to fix my TV didn't work, so it is sitting in the middle of my living room dark.

Was glad to see you covered the whole shebang. I was able to get the entire show commercial free in about fifteen minutes this way.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Only saw bits and pieces...was happy Spicoli...I mean Sean won...I thought his speech was perfect...

Heath's family did it with style and grace...

maybe I will now go see some of these movies!

Jay said...

I know that some people will piss and moan about Penn bringing up Prop 8, But, given what his movie was about it was actually fair for him to do that.

Not that I like Sean Penn. He's a humorless prick who couldn't even be bothered to thank The Princess Bride during his acceptance speech. You know, that awesome, gorgeous, sexy woman that he's treated like crap and cheated on for years? Yeah, her. He could have thanked her.

/Okay, so really hate Penn, but still.

I guess I'm going to have to see Slumdog sometime. I want to see for myself if it is a great story or just poverty porn.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Yeah Penn pretty much annoys the fuck out of me too, but given that he was picketed outside the Kodak theater by anti gay people carrying Fags Burn in Hell and Heath Is In Hell signs, I think he was well within his rights to comment on it. From my point of view the bigots brought the politics with them first.

And yes Robin should dump him and I think he is pretty la pretence myself. But I am thrilled Milk was recognized and the man can act.

I want to see Slumdog but yeah I am a bit concerned about the poverty porn angle myself.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Jeff that sucks about the light bulb! For once it was a great ceremony.

Bond - I actually want to see pretty much all of the movies nom'd but I have not gotten around to it. Kidlet and I have watched a ton of sad movies lately so she has banned "downer suck ass movies" for a bit ;P

Desert Songbird said...

Actually did not watch one single minute this year. Didn't plan on it, didn't catch my attention, didn't even care.

But I read your review and others. Made me smile.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

"I figured we might be ;)"

We don't disagree for the reasons that you "figured" though, I am sure.

Anonymous said...

What was up w/Melissa Leo's hair? Geez, she used to be so pretty! And Lisa Rinna had some Dynasty-looking hair, too.

Bud Fisher said...

I missed the whole show. How did the Indian pic do? Will it bring back the western? :)

RC said...

Nice play by play...

it really was a great awards show and i love your comments...it brings it all back :-)

Mimi Lenox said...

I missed the show,too. But glad you filled me in. I am researching the dresses on YouTube....of course. Isn't that the most important part?

And nursing an eternal migraine.
Yuk.

statcounter