Melomakarona - "Melos" in my Yiayia's lingo. These are SO FRICKIN GOOD. Lots of honey and rolled in ground nuts. They melt in your mouth. SO damn good.

Tiropita - Hot filo triangles with yummy melt cheese. Yummers

Spanakopita - See above but swap spinach for cheese.

Souvlaki - When I was a kid we used to go hang out at a souvlaki restaurant owned by a friend of my Papou's. We'd eat in the ktchen. Piping hot souvlaki and a greek roll. It was the win.

Pastitsio - It's everything Moosekaka wants to be and isn't. And mine is so good it should be criminal.

LOUKOUMADES

Kourabiedies - Again, superb with coffee. My Yiayia's owned all. I fully admit to being a HUGE Greek food snob. But when you have had the best...

Koulourakia - Traditionally an Easter cookie. My Yiayia used to send 3 huge bags. One for me, one for mom, and one for my dad. We had to hide ours from my dad. He is unable to stop eating these. Seriously. We hid them.

Kadaifi - These are hard to find and seriously yummy if you can find them. Not your typical shredded wheat.

Ahh...the Gyro. That is NOT pronounced Jye Row. It is YearRow. It's food not a gyroscope.

Greek Salad - So good even the tomato doesn't suck.

Galaktoboureko - The best use of cream of wheat. Ever. It's a semolina custard baked in filo. Take it out of the hot oven and soak it in a honey lemon cinammon syrup. Chill, cut and eat the whole damn pan. Oh yeah.

And finally, the Greek War Horse. Screw those Trojans. Baklava

25 comments:
Omg. what are you trying to do. This is an AWESOME post. I love them ALL. and Souvlaki and Gyros. MY favorite of favorites.
happy tt
This is awesome, but my stomach is growling now!
my best friend growing up was greek....this post back many fond memories of great food at their home!!
thanks for visiting my TT.
Wow, all the food looks delicious! I almost wish I was Greek... or at least I wish I knew of a great Greek place to try all that yummy looking food
I love souvlaki!
I really like Spanakopita, but spinach and Coumadin don't like each other. I'll have to try some Tiropita.
Yum!
Ooh, I haven't had breakfast yet and now I'm thinking that over the weekend, we'll have to make a bunch of this stuff again. Either that or chase into the city to one of the really good Greek restaurants and feast like kings.
Thanks for the idea! Happy TT!
Same here about breakfast. My tummy is SCREAMING at me now! A GREAT post filled with some yummy eats. Happy TT!
Love Greek food, love the olives, love the gyro, love hummus (even if its not greek) love feta. Love the list!
Mmmmmmm gyros!! I like-uh da juice. Cheers!!
I am buying in bulk tomorrow. I have to get dad some Koulouri!
Oh, yum. My baby carrots are even less appealing now...
Feed me! I am greek at heart :-)
Thanks for reminding me I haven't eaten lunch yet!
I have had pastitsio and Greek salad before, and both of those are DELICIOUS.
I recognise some of those and I can remember the taste. When I was a student one of my friends had Greek heritage and prepared a Greek feast for a group of 12 of us. Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, only 4 of us turned up. We all eat too much of it that night. It took me several years before I could eat Greek food again.
That was just brutal...I haven't eaten all day and then...and then...
there isn't a decent greek restaurant in this town, but now I want to drive straight down to the Greek town of Tarpon Springs for the whole weekend
THANKS for visiting our blog and encouraging cockney robin and thanks also for the info on Perman-linkies...
I'm so glad I already ate lunch or you would have convinced me to head for my favorite Greek restaurant. Gyros and Greek Salad are my faves.
Happy TT!
The only "real" Greek food I've ever had I didn't really like (I couldn't tell you what all of it was), but some of the things on your list sound pretty good. Maybe I'll have to give it another try sometime. :-)
Thanks for visiting my TT!
The ones I've had from your list are delicious - although I've only had the Spanakopita once and I think I know how to make it much better than the place I got it from.
Happy TT13 :P
Oh such a great post all those dishes look so good I love Gyros mmm always wanted to try Souvlaki Happy TT
Yummy. I love Greek food. Happy TT.
I love souvlaki, gyro, salad and baklava. I guess the rest is as yummy too! I'm hungry now...
Thanks for visiting my Tolkien TT!
Can't wait for tonight!
There is a major whole in my food education...I don't know much about many of these dishes. They sound yummy though.
The only one that I have had on your list is the gyro... big surprise, huh? There were other things on your list that did look tasty... esp. the Tiropita. By the way, thanks for visiting my TT.
Post a Comment