I sure wish I had it in me to be entertaining but about the only thought process I have these last few days is, "huh?" Worked 12 on Saturday while Kidlet and her BFF had a sleep over at my mom's house. They had a great time and were excellent guest so my mom wasp please. Took them to the walking mall yesterday and turned them loose for a few hours before we took BFF home. It was LOVELY outside yesterday and I sat in the shade and drank iced coffee and read my book. Which is AWESOME by the way.

It's called Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill and it is marvelous. The premise is simple. Jude Coyne is an aging rocker with a taste for the morbid. Think Alice Cooper meets Marilyn Manson with a side of heavy metal. He acquires a dead mans suit and the ghost that comes with it.
Buyer beware, indeed. This is not just any suit and the ghost is not just any ghost. It's a remarkably self possessed first time novel for a young writer. He is wonderful with visuals and one of the better at fully fleshing out his characters. Jude's little journey down memory lane reveals him to have been a person capable of being cruel yet is inherently a good man. The dialogue is snappy and the entire thing is as addictive as a box of Red Vines. Possibly a better man then he might realize. Fathers are a core theme in the book both the ghost and Jude's own. If ya like Red Vines that is. He even manages to make inanimate objects become personal. Even menacing. A skill most horror writers lack in my opinion. I'd rate him right up there with Dan Simmons, Poppy Z Brite, Anne Rice, Phil Rickman and yes, even Stevie King himself. Which is amusing once you go look up Joe's bio.
Excellent book.
That is pretty much my high point of the week. Crossing my fingers kidlet finds her school bus ok and I don't have to leave and pick her up. Work project is cruising along and I have been green lighted for as much OT as I need to do. Not that I am gonna DO as much as I need to do. I just can't do those 30 hours or more per pay period. Just NO.
Thanks to all who participated in my little political rant below. It's nice to have folks be able to agree to disagree and still respect opinions!
9 comments:
Oh, gotta read that book, aging rockers are my thing.
Hope all goes well with the bus, the work project etc. :)
Book is awesome, work is just SUPER busy and bus driver drove past kidlet's stop. Cause he is an asshat. Had a chat with his boss :P
As for me, just been SUPER busy. Having issues blogging on my own blog let alone visiting folks but I am gonna sit and chill tonight and make the rounds!
Oh yeah aging rockers..I know about them (well aging guys who wish they could rock)
have to check it out
I was intrigued by the premise, but is it a scary book? I don't do scary books very well.
I've been dying to read that book; maybe I'll find it at the library or actually have some spare $$ for it one of these days! Sounded like the best way ever to spend an afternoon!
Vinny - Jude's dogs are named Bon and Angus ;)
Travis - Yes and no. It is about a ghost so of course there are spooky overtones but when all is revealed Hill manages to make the human, coporeal actions so much worse than the deads.
Belle - Go check out his website, it's linked in the post with his name. It's most cool and I think gives you previews. The paperback version is nice and not too expensive. I highly recommend it.
Okay, I've been lazy. I admit it. I skipped over the political post below because I just couldn't bring myself to read it. Not that I don't agree with you on points - I'm just too lazy to read it all and comment!
Tis cool, Desert. I generally avoid politics and religion as I am not stupid enough to think I can change peoples views and frankly I think arguing over differences is going to be the downfall of mankind and I'd rather not add fuel to the fire. If we started working for what we all have in common it would be a better world.
Post a Comment