I was watching Larry King Live last night with Oprah and Friends on it talking about life, spirituality etc etc. My attention was caught by one particular topic. That is if you are pessimistic or optimistic when it comes to viewing the world today.
The party line for the most part was "Hey I have an intellect, of course I am pessimistic." Looking at the world today, it is damn hard to argue against that. Our government is a disaster and that goes for both sides of the aisle. Our environment is hosed. Our people are angry, marginalized, tired, or, worse, forgotten completely (Katrina, anyone?)
Then the spiritual side of the coin was flipped and I have to say it really spoke to me. How can you NOT be optimistic when people are actually engaged in this type of discussion? How can you not be optimistic when you look around and see that yes, there are problems everywhere, BUT...people are talking about them. What is more, people are doing something about them. But more need to become involved. By more, I do mean you :P
I hear people say that poverty, AIDS, Darfur, and the environment are just too big for one person to fix. They are right, of course, but they miss the point. Each time one person signs a petition, or donates to a charity, or writes their congressman, they become one of many. THAT is where change comes from. Ignoring that fact is just a cop out.
Which brings up charity in general and peoples attitudes in particular. I find it funny that people get all irate at folks like Oprah, or Sean Penn in New Orleans, or Bono. It's almost as though they are PISSED off that these celebs have the power and money to make such grand gestures. The root of that, of course, is jealousy. But to denigrate the causes these celebs champion or their contributions to them is disgusting! It's the "Me Generation" concepts at it's very worst. It's like not watching shows such as An Inconvenient Truth because it is too much work to try to change or "When The Levees Broke" cause it is too depressing. I shit you not, I have heard people say that. I'm sorry but when people live through that, the least you can do is watch and never forget, and work to make sure it never happens again.
I am not rich. I pretty much pay for everything kidlet needs up front and get pay back from her dad when and if I ask 50 million times. But I am so much better off that so many other people. I give blood, I donate to soup kitchens several times a year, I give to the Katrina and Tsunami funds to this day, and I donate time and effort on the Charity Auction here at work. I never, ever walk by a salvation army red bucket without tossing in a dollar. Every time from Thanksgiving on to the New Year. That one dollar is not going to make or break me. It may make or break someone else.
That's my whole point. It does not take grand gestures. It does not even take a ton of money. All it takes is your voice. Pick something that matters to you and tell someone that it does!
23 comments:
You are correct. While our little corner of the world does indeed have woes, we at least have the freedom to speak up and act!
I have dear friends in Sri Lanka, who lost everything during the Tsunami. Every six months I send a box of stuff to them, and my finances permitting, I send them money.
I am a volunteer, and I teach my children to be passionate and caring. And I am very proud of it. :)
I love your post. Thanks for writing it in your blog for others to see.
See... this is why I MUST come by every day.
Brilliant post Starrlight...Perfect for the end of the year.
Thanks for your friendship... and I am still waiting for you to tell me when I have to climb into your luggage for OUR trip to Maui!
bwahahahahahahaha
Cynicism, if done well, can be amusing as hell. But it can't change anything. Occasionally I have to climb up on my Pollyanna soapbox!
Say it loud!!! There are so many people who say their little bitdoes nothing, but they are so mistaken! If everyone did a little all of us would be in such a better position.
Very well said. I make this point often when I hear people around me lament about how frustrated they are by the things happening around them.
I ask them - Did you vote? Did you make a donation? When was the last time you signed a petition? Are you involved at all in the things going on around you?
Stand up. Be heard. The soapbox can be a lonely place, and sometimes people throw rotten veggies at you. But we need to climb up and say our peace.
Bardouble - You hit the nail on the head!
Travis - I can dodge veggies with the best of them =)
Very wise words. I addressed a small aspect of that topic awhile back, the idea that some people are mad when celebs go to Africa or Cambodia to adopt children. I don't get why there is uproar over something like that. It's helping these kids. And the celebs usually donate greatly to the countries they adopt from. That's just one small part of the equation, but I when I hear people criticizing the rich and famous for helping out, I get the urge to ask, "Well, what have YOU done to help out?".
That was one of the most poignant and meaningful posts I've ever read. ::applause::
OMG...I want to stand up and cheer! (But my family would be frightened.) And yet, you are so right. We each must do our part. That is how we all make a difference. Thank you for such a well-written post!
Amens & hallelujahs from the choir...
Very well said.
Personally, my problem with "An Inconvenient Truth" is not the message - but that Al Gore is a textbook example of a hypocrite.
He says all these things, but he flies in private jets and drives in limousines (both of which use tremendous amounts of fuel), and his homes are not even close to energy efficient.
But, hey, I'm optimistic for talking about it, right?
Beautiful post, so well said.
I totally agree with you about the naysayers who get on the celebrities who try to do good. I really feel like asking these people "Oh yeah, and what have YOU done today to make the world a better place?" AAaaaarrgh! Those people really piss me off. You're right, I think they're jealous that they can't do the same, so they talk badly about those who can.
Also, I wanted to say that even just being kind to your fellow man, even if you can't give cash or material goods, goes a long way toward improving the consciousness. A smile carries from one person to the next, and treating someone with respect and dignity starts a chain reaction that multiplies exponentially!
Very well said! I believe in that. One little step is all that made the difference.
I am definitely coming back!
And that's why we love you - cynicism with a twist!
Happy New Year sweetheart and thanks for all that you've given me!!
Hugz
Tisha
There is no better way to ring in the new year than to help someone in need or make a resolution to get involved in a worthwile cause. Have a Happy New Year!
Thank you all for your feedback! Have a safe and Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! May this year be happy, successful and prosperous for you :)
One person, one at a time to make true change.
great and inspiring post
happy new year :)
My brothers girlfriend is from SriLanka..Great post..We have heard stories about her family over the last year
happy new year
Im browing blogs of people who have signed mine during Thursday 13.
congratulation
coment please
http://naturaldesevilla.blogspot.com/
Hey Starrlight,
The old negative things in the world are falling apart at such a rapid pace that it can feel overwhelming to so many people. Yet just as some things are crumbling away, new positive things are buidling up and being created by all the people that care about change around the world.
Thanks for thinking about the positive. ;)
Post a Comment