Sunday, May 20, 2007

Baby It's The Guitar Man

Anndi recently tagged me with the Top 5 Guitar Solo meme and oh man this really SUCKED! Just 5?!? That is a joke right? Well this being my blog and me being in charge and all I said screw you guys I am pickin 10. I am feeling lazy so no link love for you people :p First off let me make something very clear. The minute Jimi Hendrix picked up a guitar everyone else became also rans. Jimi owned. Second item to make clear, there is no Clapton on this list. No King. No Robert Johnson. No Guy. No Son House. I pretty much decided to stick with mainstream RnR guitar gods and frankly Clapton gets enough play. So I present to you the Top 5(x2) Guitar Solos in no particular order. Well except Jimi. Cause Jimi is Jimi. Got that?

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child
Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen - Eruption
Allen Collins, Gary Rossington - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
Slash - Guns N Roses - November Rain
David Gilmore - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Kirk Hammett - Metallica - One
Dickie Betts - The Allman Brothers - Blue Sky
Duane Allman - The Allman Brothers - Statesboro Blues (Live)

** Blew up the original and reposting to see if this fixes Bloggers issues with disappearing comments. We can only hope they figure this shit out

11 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

Look Ma! Comments.

Beta finished my fat white ass.
Grrr..

Desert Songbird said...

You know, I got tagged to do this twice, and I have yet to complete it. Looking at your list, we'd have quite a few overlap. But you knew that, right?

Cinnamon Girl said...

I kinda guessed that Desert =) I left all Edge guitars off since really Edge is more landscape that solo as a musician, ya know? Well except for the intro on Bullet. That is some gnarly riffage there.

Oh did my dad and mom get huffy on the lack of Clapton Page and Beck. Told them tough, if I could have added 2 more it would be Knopfler on Sultans of Swing and Townshend on Don't Get Fooled Again.

Go do yours cause I am curious!

Desert Songbird said...

Oh, I'm definitely gonna include some Knopfler. That man - whew.

I agree about The Edge - signature sound is the landscape he provides. "Bullet the Blue Sky" - correct again, Oh Celestial One. Major ultra cool riffs.

Believe it or not, I think our musical tastes might deviate in that you are much more cerebral in your musical appreciation. For me, it comes strictly from a soulful reaction. You listen to much more modern/current stuff. Me, I'm locked in a time warp that starts in the 70s and stops in the early 90s (I find much of the 90s music to be pure dreck).

The first time I heard U2 was in 1980. It was a bootleg copy of a club performance of "11:00 Tick Tock." My reaction was visceral. Been that way pretty much ever since.

My teen years were spent in Florida, so there was much partying on the beach to Southern Fried Rock: Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and, of course, Skynyrd.

I'll work on my list today. Need a break from running around like a mindless moron.

Travis Cody said...

Excellent selections!

David Gilmore - sublime.
Slash - underrated.

So many ways to go with this meme.

Anonymous said...

Not a bad selection, but let's leave The Hedge out of this....

John Frusciante would have to be on here, from the manic over-sexed 18 year old on 'Stone Cold Bush', to the likes of 'I Could Have Lied' and 'My Lovely Man' on BSSM, through to 'Turn It Again' on Stadium Arcadium.

Throw in the solo stuff like 'Look On' and 'The Sides' and you have the finest guitarist of the last 15 years.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

This meme was one of the tougher I had done...I see you doubled the number of selections and I wish I had...so many left off...

JIMI...well the greatest ever deserves to be there
Not and Eddie fan... just not...too many tricks in my opinion
I did not go the Freebird way since it was represented on other lists
Stevie..so good, so missed
Slash..as Trav said.. underrated
Gilmore...do not always think of him - bad me
Kirk...well, not a huge Metallica fan, but I can appreciate him
Well, you know how I feel about the last two especially Duane, the 2nd best guitar player ever....

Real cool list Starr

Cinnamon Girl said...

This was SUCH a hard list. I had to get imput from others and I still had issues.

Sparky Duck said...

yea! someone mentioned SRV. Ok, I dont know a few of these other songs, but at least I have heard of all the artists.

Now for the prerequisite chant:

FRRRREEEEBIIIRRRDDD

thank you, good night

Cinnamon Girl said...

LOL Sparky! did you wave a lighter? LS is playing here in July and I will be there :P

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

I personally think Eric Clapton is way overrated. Love the Voodoo Chile solo, but my favorite is Brian May's solo in Queen's We Will Rock You.

statcounter