I am feeling TOTALLY uninspired today. It's the fact that my sinuses feel like they are filled with molten lava, I am sure. Just had lunch and I think it was a good roast beef sandwich, but I can't really taste anything. Joyous.
I could whine forever but that would probably seriously impact my cool factor so I will shut it and move on to the meat (roast beef?) of this post. Let's play catch up, shall we?
First off, Sunday the 22nd, Kidlet and I saw Placebo at the Roseland. They were in a first place tie with Green Day. Now it looks like they have stolen first. You learn these things taking your kids to concerts. I actually had a hella good time for an all ages show. I remember when the Roseland was the infamous Starry Night Club. I highly suggest you go read that story too. Fascinating look at the underbelly of our local club scene. It was not all Kurt and Courtney at the Satyricon.
The opening band Evaline was just god awful. No offence to them or anything, but my goodness! Kidlet thought they blew chunks too, so I am pretty sure it is not me turning into an old fart. The lead singer was remarkably thin. From the side he looked about as wide a 5 year old boy. Facially he looked like what I can only describe as the love child of Orlando Bloom (without the ears) and Sanjaya of American Idol fame. And a stoned pot field Sanjaya at that. Musically they were your basic art rock - ambient - emocore crap. But I found them visually rather compelling. Like a train wreck, ya know? You just can't look away. I gotta say for the record that their drummer was decent. The rest of the band though...wow. One of the guitarists looked like he had been let loose from a circa 1985 Bryan Adams video and another resembled a refugee from Late 70's ELO, complete with afro. He was white. It was very South Park. And they danced like they were trying to channel Iggy Pop! But when Sanjaya Sex Monkey boy (as I have dubbed the lead singer) climbed atop his Yamaha keyboard and jumped up and down, I knew we were in for a treat. It didn't take long before all my expectations were achieved. Out came the cello bow and it was dragged back and forth across the bass guitar. Yes, the bass. Page would have been so proud.
It was actually pretty amusing, complete with the totally stoned looking singer possibly vomiting behind the stacks and having to be helped off ala James Brown by his trusty roadie.
We were right up front stage right at the barriers directly in front of wall of amps. This was a first for kidlet and she loved it. Another future hearing aid wearer was born =)
Placebo was really great in concert. They sounded great, had a ton of energy and were fun with the crowd. Plus their lyrics are amusing. I have already promised the kidlet we can go again if they come back this summer. She was seriously pissed her dad would not take her to Coachella where they played last weekend. Once again it was MOMMY TO THE RESCUE! She luuuuuuvs me. And since Mommy had a great time she feels kinda wrong accepting the mega loves from small child. I did not, however, turn down the foot rub.
Now the only grim spot in that weekend was that small child had busted her ass. Literally. She fell right smack dab on the tailbone while rollerskating. What about this kid made her dad think she was a good candidate for rollerskating is just beyond me. Was it the broken or finger that made his go "Yeah! great idea!"
She made it through the concert on adrenaline alone but she was walking like a crab on Monday AM. Add to that the sinus infection that she has generously shared with me, and you get a recipe for Gone for the Week.
I feel better today. Marginally.
Harley still has eyeball issues but it now looks like Retardo Cat will not lose his eyeball. Which is good cause it has been a looong 6 weeks worrying about that. I probably just jinxed the poor bastard :P
OOOH exciting postscript!
Blur is getting back together! Happy days people. Happy damn days.
3 comments:
I love Placebo, and I bet they absolutely ruled live. I am a bit jealous...and that has to be one of the best things I've heard about Blur getting back together. I've missed them. Happy Damn Days Indeed...I like the way you think.
Why thank you, Kind Paco!
They were awesome live I have to admit. Kidlet adores them. Not bad seeing that she is 12. There will be no Britney in my household!
Good news about Blur... I didn't know that. Don't care too much for Placebo myself...
Post a Comment